Monday, June 24, 2013

"Red Riding Hood"

Though I do love new examples of timeless fairy tales, this one wasn't executed as well as it should've been, and instead of creating a wolf, they created more of a poodle with a head cold. The direction of this film was NOT as it should have been in any way, shape, or form. The scenery and set, however, I thought, were magnificent. The movie could have been top of the year if it had taken more time to nail the little things. The script, undoubtedly, is the biggest issue. Though some of the lines were empowering, the majority of them generated a cheesy feel and ruined the effect of the movie. The casting, however, I found fine. I've taken the duty I picking out the best of the actors to determine who deserves an award. For the Outstanding Female Actress, I felt as though Amanda Seyfried, for her role as Valerie, Virginia Madsen, for her role as Suzette, Julie Christie, for her role as Grandmother, and Shauna Kain as Roxanne should be nominated. They all did exquisite jobs and all should be proud of their individual work. I chose Amanda Seyfried to win the virtual award, as I felt it takes a lot of courage to throw yourself out there, with an acting career already, and be handcuffed to a well surrounded by fire while still keeping a cool. She continues to make that "good girl" label onto herself. For Outstanding Male Actor, I felt as though Gary Oldman as Solomon, Billy Burke as Cosaire, Shiloh Fernadez as Peter, and Max Irons as Henry ought to be nominated. Though I thought Max really made you love his character, and Gary made you hate his, both of them weren't as unpredictable  as the other two. When Billy Burke was chained up and thrown into prison, saying goodbye to Valerie, it pulled at your heart a little bit. However Shiloh made his "tough guy" appearance make you believe that he could be a killer, even when he was ready to strip down naked in the snow and sleep with Amanda, as well as fight guards twice his size, only to be captured and thrown into an elephants butt hole. He impressed me with his change of character, and I chose him to win the award. Amanda and Shiloh will join Skylar Astin and Rebel Wilson (for Pitch Perfect) in the winners circle. I am impressed with the acting, the set/scenery, and the props (such as chests, cloaks, handcuffs, weaponry,  etc), but not so much the script or the overall direction of the film. I give it a grade of 75%, or a C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment